Thursday, March 10, 2011

Special on Great Books in Aisle 2


Here's my shopping tip for the day: Book Warehouse. I've been in our local store a bunch of times and, frankly, I'm usually disappointed by stacks of titles like "Learn Windows2000 in Two Hours" and "Eloise's Guide to Cross Stitch". But, recently I decided to stop in and discovered that they are a great place to get photography books. I'm not talking about cheap, paperback "how-to" books, but beautiful hard cover monographs at ridiculous prices.

My favorite find is a really great book I had never heard of called Taking Aim: Unforgettable Rock 'n' Roll Photographs Selected by Graham Nash. It features iconic and lesser known, but striking, images by famous rock photographers like Lynn Goldsmith, Annie Leibovitz, Jim Marshall, Neal Preston, Henry Diltz, Bob Gruen, and Nash himself. After I had the book a week, I noticed a bonus on the inside back cover... a narrative CD. Best of all... it was a buck. That's right... $1. Graham Nash provides selective narrative along with the photos. So cheap, I bought one for a friend.


The Clash by Bob Gruen

I also found a book by Eve Arnold. Eve was a ground breaking photographer at one of the most famous photography agencies ever, Magnum. I picked up her Marilyn Monroe monograph for $10.

If you're like me and geek out on photography books, but usually don't buy them because of their cost, check out Book Warehouse for a dose of cheap inspiration.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...