Monday, April 1, 2013

Mountain Runner Portrait Project #14

Last summer I started a personal project making portraits of the some of the folks I've come to know in the trail, mountain and snowshoe running community.  I thought it might be fun to see what can be captured when these remarkable athletes stood still in front of the camera.  Some portraits are of elite runners and others are images of every day folks who have passion and commitment to the sport.  I called the work the Mountain Runner Portrait Project.  With race schedules and other competing priorities, it's been a while since I made a new installment,  so I'm happy to share a new addition to the MRPP!

When I was in Bend, Oregon last month to photograph the 2013 US Dion Snowshoe National Championships, I had the good fortune to enjoy the hospitality of Richard Bolt.  Richard lives in Mountain View, California, but has a connection to Bend.  He's a tireless promoter of human powered sports and was in town to help organize the National Championships at Meissner Park.  

Richard isn't just an armchair athlete.  He is constantly biking, trail running, snowshoeing, nordic skiing or riding the rollers.  He's competed in many races through out the country and is a member of the Atlas snowshoe racing team as well as member of the Salomon running team.  Richard is also the Director of Online Marketing at the American Trail Running Association and is Team Leader for the US Mountain Running Team.

While roaming in Bend, Richard and I stopped into the very cool Crows Feet Commons for a cup of coffee... or in Richard's case espresso.  Shortly after sitting down, a great guy, Kevney Duggan, from the amazing Visit Bend organization joined us and we dug in for a while.  As the caffeine got to work, I noticed great light from the table-side window and realized Richard had his two non-athletic passions close at hand... coffee and micro-brew.  He was in his element.  In the middle of our chat, I announced "This is it!".  Richard and Kevney looked at me.  I said "Right here, right now... Richard, you're the next Mountain Runner Portrait".  I seem to recall a "you're kidding right?" look on his face, as I explained the project to Kevney and fiddled with camera settings and a test shot or two.  But, Richard is gracious and two minutes later, the image was made... Mountain Runner Portrait #14.  Thank you Richard Bolt!



You can see all the Mountain Runner Portraits on my website at www.joeviger.com in the projects gallery!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...