Friday, January 27, 2012

Thinking of Buying a Camera?

People often ask me what camera to buy.  The answer is pretty simple right now... buy a phone.  The iPhone 4s.  I'm serious.

Last week I was in Arizona and because of time and mediocre light, I only made a handful of images with my DSLR.  But, I frequently shot with my iPhone.  It's easy, high quality and as Chase Jarvis says, "the best camera is the one that's with you".   You take your phone everywhere.  The iPhone isn't just a great camera, it's a great ecosystem for people interested in photography with all sorts of applications that feature different cameras with various cool effects and photo processing tools.  Software you find for the iPhone costing from  $.99 to $4.99 would be $100's of dollars for a computer.  It's amazing really.

So, unless your going to make the leap to a $500 camera like the Canon G12 or indulge the joy of changeable lenses with a full blown DSLR or one of the nifty micro four thirds rigs like the Olympus EP's, save your dough.  You need a new cell phone anyway.

View From South Mountain
iPhone 4s, Pano camera app processed with Nik Snapseed for iPhone

Sidewalk Ghosts

iPhone 4s, ProHDR camera app processed with Nik Snapseed for iPhone

Feet ShadowiPhone 4s, ProHDR camera app processed with Nik Snapseed for iPhone

2 comments:

Dave Brigham said...

Very cool, Joe. I still don't own a smart phone, but you make a convincing argument.

Kevin said...

Nice photos, but just don't drop the damn thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...