Sunday, February 20, 2011

Whiteface Intervale Birch Glade

Winter Birches

I've always loved birch trees. When I was a kid, there were several growing around our house. My second floor bedroom window looked right out at them. My mother's family had roots in Shelburne, NH and we made frequent pilgrimages there, always driving through the famous Shelburne Birches. Even as a kid, I knew that stand of trees was special. If you've driven Route 2 in the last few years, you too are probably sad that the birches there aren't as beautiful as they once were.

This stand is in Whiteface Intervale, NH. The hikers reading this know the area well because of the two prominent Sandwich Range trail heads on Bennett Street. The glade is young but has potential. On this snowy day, it blended with the sky and was striking in it's own unique way.

5 comments:

Linda Ruel Flynn said...

Beautiful, Joe. My birch quilts are inspired by that same ride to camp. I really appreciate that we share that same memory. xoLinda

Unknown said...

You know I've seen these pictures of these quilts but didn't connect them to my post. I'm really glad that you did! That's great! I've always loved these quilts.

David Holoman said...

I am sure everyone knows about this, but just in case, Birches by Robert Frost:

http://www.online-literature.com/frost/742/

Unknown said...

Hi David... Thank you for the fine words from Robert Frost!

Michael said...

Ditto to what Linda said. I miss that ride to camp through the birches. It was that corridor that would get me excited, knowing we were close. Also, I have a watercolor from your sister that she gave to Gram B. (Aunt Irene for you). I love it and love the memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...